Dishwasher + Prep Cook (1/2 hired)
Maurya’s Rest.Bar.Banquet | 165 Victoria st. | 250 - 377 - 4969
Dishwashers and prep cooks at Maurya’s are the heartbeat of the kitchen who build a strong foundation to create a successful career in the culinary industry. In this position you are responsible for carrying out daily prep, cooking, and cleaning tasks using a checklist and looking at the whiteboard. Collaborating with the kitchen crew is mandatory, as well as maintaining knowledge of Indian cuisine (only while working with us).
This is a role with multi-purpose and multi-tasking jobs in a commercial kitchen.
It is key to bringing smooth flow and assistance to the head/line cooks for production. It can be a high-stress job but if a prep cook is organized and great at multitasking, they’ll find the job gets easier as their art of cooking skills get sharper.
Established 2004, we are a family-owned local business in the heart of downtown Kamloops. We are not your average Indian restaurant! We are growing the Maurya’s brand rapidly by the day. Our mission is to create Far From Ordinary experiences for our “guests” — a contemporary approach to Indian regional cuisine, flair of global inspiration, 5 star service, and a mix of culture & tradition in our craft cocktails.
Our core values, mission, and vision are the backbone of our business and guide our hiring process. We work in dozens of verticals, and are looking for all sorts of talent in the f&b industry as well as partnerships, suppliers, marketers etc.
1. Prepping all assigned items in an efficient and consistent manner. While following the specifications, recipes and techniques from the company’s recipe book and the head chef's confirmation.
2. Following up and collaborating with the kitchen crew/management on pending prep tasks. As well as occasionally attending and providing input into staff meetings and participating in training, and educational sessions.
3. Responsibly carrying out kitchen prep work in reasonable amounts of time, via a checklist and looking at the whiteboard.
4. Works well under pressure. Meeting cost control guidelines, production schedules and timelines for service periods.
5. Maintains knowledge of company specifications, recipes, Indian cuisine and its spices. Knowledge of the company’s policies and procedures manual, mission statement, vision statement, and supporting programs and employees in accordance with same.
6. Prepping dishes like salads, pakoras, raita, cooking rice, samosa filling etc.
7. Using machines and basic knife skills to cut a variety of veggies and meats.
8. Handling and marinating meats as well as peeling vegetables like potatoes and onions.
9. Reporting any shortages in food/dishwashing stock to appropriate stakeholders.
10. Organizing, handling, boiling, and washing fresh produce.
11. Following the stocking and refilling practices of groceries and products in the kitchen and refrigerators through proper labelling and storage practices.
12. Keeping prep work up to date and chef stations up to date, in a timely manner.
13. Carrying out kitchen cleaning tasks, and surface sanitization.
14. Operating a commercial dishwasher and stocking the clean plates, cutleries and other utensils.
15. Cleaning the washroom and carrying out general cleaning and sanitizing.
16. Abide with enhanced covid-19 protocols, maintain personal hygiene, and adhere to food safe practices. Includes wearing a mask, hairnet, proper attire, scent-free etc. as per business requirements.
Willingness to learn
Self-starts on tasks
Sincere desire to give the best to guests
A minimum experience of 1 - 2 years in a commercial kitchen is an asset
Working towards a career in culinary, or a Red Seal Certification while an asset, but is not required.
Food Safe Level 1 Certification while an asset, but you can apply.
Has basic understanding of commercial-kitchen operations.
Can respond to varying business volumes as they relate to impacts on the kitchen.
Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of Indian cuisine is an asset, but not required.
Works effectively within a team and recognizes when to provide support to other kitchen team members.
Being able to work prolonged periods of working in a commercial kitchen environment, standing and walking for lengthening periods.
Can sustain without breaks only during the extremely busy peak hours.
Is physically capable of working in a fast-paced environment and safely lifts heavy loads around 22-25kg.
Commitment to Diversity
As an equal opportunity employer committed to meeting the needs of a multigenerational and multicultural workforce Maurya’s recognizes that a diverse staff, reflective of our community, is an integral and welcome part of a successful and ethical business. We hire local talent at all levels regardless of race, color, religion, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation or disability, and actively foster inclusion in all forms both within our company and across interactions with clients, candidates and partners.
If this position caught your eye, send us your resume! For best consideration, include the job title and source where you found this position in the subject line of your email to .
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Position: Dishwasher + Prep cook
Salary: $15.59 - $16.29 per hour
Discounted or free food (after 3 months)
Flexible schedule, as per business need
Reimbursement of foodsafe (after 1 year)
Future benefits apply when you work with us.
5 - 8 hour shift, 20 to 40 hours per week
Day / Evening shift
Monday to Friday
Work Location: One location
Work Remotely: No
INTERESTED IN THIS POSITION?
EMAIL your resume at .
We will get back to you if you are qualified!
For best consideration, include the job title and source
where you found this position in the subject line of your email.